Let’s take good care of these teeth!
Incorporating good cleaning and preventative habits into your daily routine is an effective and necessary factor, but don’t forget your semi-annual check-up at your dentist in Shen Dental.
Here are our best tips for strong and healthy teeth.
1. Take good care of your teeth at home:
- Brush your teeth properly and regularly— Brushing your teeth twice a day remains the single most time-efficient, simple and effective way to maintain good oral health. Not sure how? Please watch this video.
- Don’t give up on flossing! Flossing allows you to clean the built-up material along the sides of your teeth and along the gums. We recommend flossing once a day; this will make a huge difference!
- Add fluoride mouthwash—Fluoride helps to prevent tooth decay and cavities, so using fluoride mouthwash alongside with brushing and flossing provides an extra line of defence for your oral health.
- Don’t forget to clean your tongue! Did you know that more than half of the bacteria that live in your mouth is on your tongue?
And of course, don’t forget to replace your toothbrush at least once every six months! Brush bristles can become less effective as they wear down and bacteria build upon them.
2. Watch what you put in your mouth (and body):
- We know, we know, we all love coffee. Coffee contains phosphorous, a mineral that contributes to a healthy mouth. However, too much coffee causes teeth staining, and nobody likes spots on their teeth!
- Sweets. We all love candy or dessert every now and then, but sugary foods and beverages increase the risk of cavities.
- Avoid carbonated soft drinks such as coke when possible – these tricksters are full of sugar!
- Quit Smoking—Smoking causes bad breath and stained teeth, and it increases risk of gum disease, tooth decay and oral cancer. Smoking is also very bad for your health, so talk to your dentist or your physician to find out how you can quit smoking.
Give your body good food:
- Water! Drinking lots of water can help keep your mouth clean.
- Drink Lots of Milk—it is an excellent source of calcium, which helps strengthen teeth and decreases your chances of dental diseases!
- Eating cheese decreases the acidity in your mouth and lowers your risk of tooth decay.
- Yogurt is great, too! Just keep it low sugar. The probiotics in yogurt benefit your gums because the good bacteria crowd out the bacteria that cause cavities.
- Apples, carrots, and celery are great. Eating them produces saliva in your mouth, which rinses away bacteria and food particles.
- What about those greens? Yes, please! Kale and spinach are high in calcium, which builds your tooth enamel.
And don’t forget to visit your dentist at Shen Dental twice a year
We will help clean your teeth, but also check your oral health for any concerns, or even unknown issues. Regular visits prevent future problems!
The dentists at Shen Dental are accepting patients and we are also kid-friendly. Call us today at (604) 566-7777 or easily email us to request an appointment.